About the Alan Oldfield's Painting

Moved by reading Julian of Norwich's classic text, Revelations of Divine Love, or Showing of Love, Alan Oldfield painted this wonderful work, richly textured in symbolism. At the right is Julian herself. She looks to the left where we see Christ and the crown of thorns, Calvary, and to the "little thing, the size of a hazelnut, all that is made." For Oldfield the entire painting is filled with the presence of God.

Saturday, March 11, 2017






Tomorrow is the day!  I leave for Norwich at 5:35.  That's Norwich, above.  I am excited to finally walk the streets of Norwich and envision our Julian from her cell, in her heavy nun's garb, at her window, dispensing support, encouragement, and insight.  I'll be staying in the Julian Centre, run by nuns, specifically Sr. Pamela who has graciously consented to let me stay an extra day before I go to Florence, even though the center will be closed.  I hear it will be cold this time of year, so I was encouraged to bring Long Johns.  Don't have any, so flannel will have to do.

In Florence, I'll stay in the English Cemetery in the library on a lovely little cot that unfolds during the day.  Reminds me of my travels when I was in graduate school, at least when I was years younger.  The cemetery is managed by Julia Bolton Hollway, a scholar of magnificent portions who knows at least nine languages and has published books and articles that mark her as an international scholar.  I will take baby steps around her.  For all her renown, she is gentle and kind, a lovely individual.  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment